Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Get Out of That Well

    I'm on a mountain top.


    I am not writing this to make you feel even deeper in a pit if you are in one but to encourage you that if you keep reaching out in what feels like pitch black darkness eventually you will find the rope God has thrown down to you. If you are standing up in the bright sunshine with the Lord look around. There might be a well with a rope thrown in. Grab on and pull you brothers and sisters out of there. You're either in the well, at the bottom on your knees, reaching out or climbing up OR you are out of the well in awe of your Lord.

    People ask me often how I have been doing since the big day in February when I nearly met my maker. To tell you the truth had God's will gone the other way I would have been happier than I could have imagined shortly before this trip. I could have been in eternity with my Lord and saviour, brother, Father and friend. I can't wait to see Jesus face to face. Like a bride on her wedding day standing before her bridegroom. Her veil lifted and they embrace with eager anticipation of the life that is about to be had. Oh how I long for that day when I meet him.

     But I am still here. And for that I am not sad to stay. I am forever grateful to Him that he is willing to wait for me until I am not needed here anymore. I feel the embrace of my husband throughout the day and see the kind eyes of my children gaze up at me and I wonder at this.

    James has always been my go-to book when there are hard trials coming my way or in my way. And I always come out strengthened by it. In my life Joy has always been the thing I have craved and longed for. I was incredibly sad in my teen years, entered into motherhood early only to find more sadness out of lack of confidence, have felt distant from God intermittently throughout my walk with Him, have struggled hard with my husband (as is normal), have longed sinfully for times in my life that were more fruitful and fulfilling, and even fell into despair not too long ago. Joy is what I have been longing for all of my life. So everytime I feel this way I turn to James and read through it. Often several times. And every time the same message pops out: Trials are joy. Testing makes you persevere. Perseverance leads to perfection and completion in Christ. Trials are joy. Trials are joy. That's James 1:2 for you. The same message comes up in 1John 4:12 too.

    As a Christian, we should never fall into despair. It's easy to throw that word around though isn't it. Recently we had a girls Anne of Green Gables marathon and Anne would throw this word around flippantly, "I'm in the depths of despair." This isn't a true depiction of this word. Despair is not being with God anymore. Having no hope. I remember in recent months weeping on the floor many times feeling like I was truly in the depths of despair. I felt that if I were to die at this moment I would suffer for eternity in Hell and the mere thought of this drove me lower and lower. I was face down on the bottom of a deep dark well with no hope or thought of a rope. God wasn't going to throw me one and no one else was picking me up.

      It was all a fallacy. I can see that very clearly now that I am standing upright. God loves me. He did not abandon me. I abandoned him. I continued in my prayer and study during this time but decided God was never going to help me.

Lies
       Lies
              Lies

       James 1:13 tells us he does not tempt us. God wasn't tempting me to turn from him. James 4:4 says when we love the world God becomes jealous of the spirit which he put in us. I was succombing to the sin in my life and he was jealous for my spirit. James 4:7 tells us to resist Satan and he will flee. Come near to God and he will come near to you. I wasn't resisting the lies Satan was fusing deep into my soul. How could I come closer to God? After this, in James 4:9 he goes on to tell us "grieve, mourn, and wail, change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourself before the Lord and he will lift you up. HE WILL LIFT YOU UP...out of that well. You won't even need the rope. He'll scrape your limp weeping body up off the ground and place you up in the sunshine. That is how I got out. That's what it took to get out of the depth of despair.

     Life is full of trials. Peter reassures us of this in 1 Pet 1:6-7. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith...may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

     But the point of these trials should technically result in praise, glory and honour to Jesus. That is a genuine faith. Isn't that what we want? To have a genuine faith in Jesus? To give Him glory, honour, power, praise? Then we should endure our trials joyfully. But this doesn't mean put a smile on your face when your dog dies because you are supposed to supposed to be joyful. It means get your focus right. You should feel a peace in your heart when you're joyful in your suffering. This is persevering.

     For those on the mountaintop or just out of the well in the sunshine: You know this truth. You know that trial you just went through crafted you a little more into your true self coming closer to God. So it's your duty to help your brothers and sisters out. The end of Jude says Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy mixed with fear-hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

    Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. James 1:12


    Lord thank you for the trials I have faced. Especially this last one. I love you more than life and although I can wait to see you I am really looking forward to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment